Trees on private property are protected under the City of Coquitlam Tree Management Bylaw 4091, 2010. If you wish to remove a tree on your property, consult the bylaw first.
Tree removal requirements outlined here is for residents wanting to remove a tree on their property. Developers looking to remove trees should review the Trees and Development page.
In most cases, the tree management bylaw allows, private property owners to remove up to two trees of protected size per 12 month period from their property without a permit. A protected tree is any living woody plant greater than 20cm in diameter measured 1.4m from the ground.
You will require a permit if you wish to remove more than two protected trees per 12 month period.
You will require a Tree Cutting Permit for all tree removals if your property has any of the following:
In order to apply for a tree cutting permit, you will need to submit the following:
*Please note that we will return incomplete application forms. The contractor identified as performing the tree work must have an active business licence to operate in Coquitlam or the Tri-City area.
Completed applications with relevant supporting documents can be submitted by email or in person at the Parks, Recreation and Culture counter located on the 2nd floor of Coquitlam City Hall.
Once submitted, your application will be reviewed by Urban Forestry staff. If the application is complete, with no omissions or errors, we will notify you by email or phone that your application has been accepted. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant.
Once notified that your permit is ready for pickup, you will be required to pick up your invoice and pay the application fee and relevant replacement deposits in person at City Hall.
A Basic Tree Cutting permit application is $60.00. Applications requiring additional documentation (arborist report) or site visits from a City technician are subject to a $302.00 application fee.
Replacement trees are bonded at $300 per replacement tree. The security is due at the time of permit issuance. The bond will be returned in installments; 90-percent return after tree planting and inspection and the remaining 10-percent one year later.
Once notified that your permit has been approved and is ready for pickup, please pick up the invoice at the Parks, Recreation and Culture counter located on the 2nd floor of Coquitlam City Hall. Fee collection will be handled at the Financial counter located on the main floor of Coquitlam City Hall.
Once paid in full, your permit will be issued at the Parks, Recreation and Culture counter located on the 2nd floor of Coquitlam City Hall.
The valid permit must be on site during tree removal. You or your contractor may be asked to provide proof of valid permit during tree removal.
Replacement trees may be required as a condition of your tree cutting permit. Replacement trees help to re-establish canopy cover following the removal of mature and significant trees from your property. Trees are available at a number of nurseries throughout the Lower Mainland.
Whether you require tree replacement will be based on the this Tree Replacement Requirements chart (PDF). The two main factors include the size of your lot and the number of protected trees remaining after tree removal occurs. This applies only to trees removed outside of Riparian areas or Streamside Protection and Enhancement Area (SPEA).
Ensure your trees are planted to acceptable BC Landscape & Nursery Association standards and follow the Private Property Tree Replacement Requirements (PDF). Please email Urban Forestry to arrange a site inspection by a Forest Management Technician once installed.
If no deficiencies are noted in the trees, or in the quality of planting, 90% of your security bond will be returned to you. One year after the initial inspection, a final inspection will take place to confirm the survival of the trees at which point the remaining 10% will be returned.
If replacement trees are required, consult our list of recommended replacement trees, These trees are broken down into three categories or ‘classes’ (A, B, and C) based on their height and canopy spread at maturity. Urban Forestry is open to species not listed, but they must be approved prior to installation. Additionally, the following factors apply to replacement trees: