Complaint Process

To report bylaw contraventions that occurred in Coquitlam only, such as dogs running at large, dog attacks, barking dogs, dogs off leash, as well as to report violations of other bylaws, you can call, email, mail, or send a fax to Bylaw Enforcement & Animal Services at:

500 Mariner Way
Coquitlam, BC V3K 7B6

Phone: 604-927-7387
Fax: 604-927-7388
Email Bylaw and Animal Services

Details to Include

When you file a report we need the following details:

  • Your name, address and phone number as we do not accept anonymous complaints
  • A description of the incident or issue, with as much information as you can give
  • The address or location where the issue or incident occurred
  • In the event of a dog bite, the contact information for the other dog and/or owner

When submitting a request for service, we ask that you have the exact address where the alleged violation has occurred. We will not attend complaints based on description of a house or area. You may use QtheMap, a handy tool provided by the City of Coquitlam, to determine an address of a particular location.

If your complaint pertains to a strata property (such as a townhome) or mobile homes, you must forward your complaint to the management company or the strata council.


The City keeps the identity of every complainant confidential unless one of the following is true:

  • The complainant has agreed to be identified
  • The matter has resulted in tickets being issued to the offender, and the complainant is required to provide a statement or evidence at adjudication
  • The matter has resulted in prosecution, and the complainant is required to testify in court. If the matter were to go to court or result in tickets, we would contact you and ask if you are prepared to testify in court, or have your evidence used at adjudication. Should you decide that you did not want your information disclosed, you will remain completely anonymous, but in so doing, you withdraw your complaint

Follow-Up Process

The Bylaw Officers try to follow up with complainants, but this may not always be possible due to workloads. We kindly ask for your patience as we prioritize our enforcement activities. Should you wish to speak to an officer you may call us.

The City will generally not call complainants back if the complaint is related to routine matters such as parking, dogs running at large, or requests for patrol of off-leash parks.

If you are reporting a dog bite, the Bylaw Enforcement & Animal Services will send you a Dog Bite Statement Form that will require additional information.

Reporting Hours

Monday to Friday
8 am to 8:30 pm

Saturday, Sunday and Statutory Holidays
9 am to 4:30 pm

After-hours, an answering machine will be in place. Please leave a message and staff will return your call the next working day. If your call is an emergency related to a vicious dog, please call the non-emergency RCMP number at 604-945-1550 or the 24-Hour Engineering Customer Service number at 604-927-3500.

Our Responsibilities

We can assure compliance to basic standards of animal care required under the Animal Care and Control Bylaw Number 4240, 2011 (PDF) (Section 17), but the Provincial Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) Cruelty Investigators are responsible for the enforcement of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, and Wildlife issues are the responsibility of the British Columbia Conservation Officer Service.